SixDegrees.org connects people taking small actions on a local level with celebrity shout outs that can amplify their efforts. GivingTuesday is one of those amazing grassroots campaigns.
We have a day for giving thanks. We have two for getting deals. Now, we have #GivingTuesday, a global day dedicated to giving back. On Tuesday, December 1, 2015, charities, families, businesses, community centers, and students around the world will come together for one common purpose: to celebrate generosity and to give.
Need some inspiration? Here are just a few actions you can take to benefit causes today and through the rest of the season:
- Donate to or create a social fundraiser for any charity online at SixDegrees.org. Some of our favorites from recent days include the following:
Harlem Grown – Help elementary and middle school children in the middle of a Harlem food desert learn how to grow (and love to eat!) healthy fruits and vegetables on this incredible urban farm.
Share Our Strength – Support this campaign to end childhood hunger.
WQXR Instrument Drive – Help get a musical instrument into the hands of every New York City schoolkid. This grassroots drive rounded up, refurbished and distributed more than 3,000 donated instruments last year and is hoping to double that amount in 2016!
Billings Forge Community Works Kitchen – Kevin Bacon visited this great cafe while performing in Rear Window in Hartford. It’s a nonprofit social enterprise that provides employment opportunities to ex-offenders, homeless, and other people who face significant barriers. Even better, they’ve got some incredible farm-to-table food and coffee!
Veterans First Fly Fishing – This group of 100% volunteers teach veterans from all eras and conflicts fly tying, fly casting and fly fishing as a healthy and therapeutic recreational activity.
- Change your social media profile pics and covers and create posts that spread the word about #GivingTuesday. You can find a variety of tools at www.givingtuesday.org.
- Start a “pay-it-forward” chain at a local coffee shop. Visit suspendedcoffees.com for more ideas and a link to participating shops that are familiar with the concept.
- Order holiday gifts online at Thistle Farms and help this nonprofit that serves as a “sanctuary for healing for women survivors of abuse, addiction, trafficking and prostitution.” Candles, bath essentials, gift totes, holiday cards, and much more can make unique gifts for friends and family on your list while helping a cause at the same time. Folks in Nashville can even drop by their cafe to enjoy a great meal!
- Perform a Random Act of Kindness. Or better yet, donate to the nonprofit focused exclusively on promoting random acts!